Tuesday, January 13, 2009

We do our best to prevent deaths

Excerpts from written comments of students that attended health classes spoken to by my staff:

I also learned that people make lots of stupid decisions near me. That part scared me a bit, the fact that people who could be driving on the same street as me could make a bad decision that could kill me, even if I am being responsible.

At school we have presentations all the time on drugs and alcohol and telling us not to do them. But I think your presentation was the most effective, because you actually got to see what they did to your body.

I believe this is mostly a mental battle that has to be overcome by a person’s common sense rather that their desire to be with the crowd. … I feel if a person can just build the mental capacity to avoid, their bodies will develop and grow more quickly and strongly than those of the ones who give in. Especially when driving, if their mental abilities are lacking or being focused on some unimportant social factor, they can cause serious harm to themselves and others.

Now I truly know the risks that I am taking no only for myself but for others if I put harmful substances into my body.

Your presentation was inspiring as it made me realize how fragile life is. It made me aware of just how important it is to make the right choices. You pointed out how being at the wrong place at the wrong time could be deadly. I found the facts you shared both interesting and at the same time frightening.


Sharing information, teachable moments, repeated presentations of truthful information, that is how you teach kids, that is how they learn

No comments: