Friday, April 28, 2006

Certain as you can

At the pre-prom crash re-enactment this morning, one the last speakers asked for a show of hands of all the teens that were certain that they were going to have a safe weekend. This was his attempt to get them to “pledge” that they would be careful and not take chances with their safety this weekend (specifically not drive drunk or with someone who was drunk). Most, if not all, of the students raised a hand. I didn’t, I wouldn’t. With my experience, having seen what I have seen, I am never certain that I will have a safe weekend (or weekday for that matter) Fear mongering? Cynical? I’d just say realistic (not that I let it make me crazy).

Later in the day, actually just a couple of hours later, my opinion was reinforced. A car vs. semi truck collision with the car totaled and the truck cab on fire. One individual dead at the scene and one airlifted to a Level 1 Trauma Center. Somebody blew through the stoplight with tragic results.

Can you ever be certain you will have a safe weekend? You can do your best (think, be careful, don’t take chances, and make good choices), but you can never be certain.

Have a safe weekend (and a safe rest of your life).

2 comments:

justice-ak said...

I AM WRITING YOU FROM JUNEAU ALASKA..I HAVE A VERY IMPORTENT QUESTION FOR YOU.
AFTER A BODY HAS BEEN CREMATED , CAN YOU STILL GET ANY DNA EVIDENCE FROM IT? ( TO POSITIVLY IDENTIFY FOR SURE WHO IT IS )knowing this is more importent than you will ever know and will help bring closure to our family~!PLEASE E-ME BACK AS SOON AS YOU CAN~!

THANK-YOU
LENA WALKER

Dr. Richard Keller said...

DNA testing after cremation is very difficult, if not "impossible". However if bone or dental fragments persist in the cremains, they may yield material that could possibly be tested. Keep in mind that during cremation not everything burns to "ash" (the resulting material isn't ash as wwe normaly think of it, it is granular), therefore a final "mechanical treatment" is done to bring everything left to a more consistant granular form and size. Some testable material "may" persist in the cremains.