Monday, October 06, 2008

Fake crack

Whoa, a whole week without a post. Either I am slipping or I was as busy as I seemed.

Anyway, I came across an interesting article today checking out online "coroner news" (after participating in a panel on underage drinking information and prevention).

In Cincinnati they are apparently seeing an upsurge in “fake crack”. Now that is not something we have seen here (we have seen both fentanyl and diphenylamine masquerading as heroin, but not fake crack), but I thought it was interesting. We will certainly keep an eye out for it now, although it doesn’t seem very likely that users of fake crack will end up in our office:
Owens said that in recent days, up to 60 percent of the drugs sent to his office for testing on a given day turned out to be fake, usually made of high concentrations of vitamin B3.

No comments: