Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Salubrious Coffee

I ran across several articles pertaining to a study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine “Coffee Consumption and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus”.

I like it, yet another reason to pour myself another cup of coffee. While I drink coffee because I like it and, at least in small part, because I am addicted to the caffeine, it is nice to know that there are potential health benefits to my consumption.

The study, a part of a larger look at the habits of over 28,000 women and their risk of developing disease later in life, demonstrated basically that the more coffee you consume (likely to some limit point) the less is your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Because this held true for both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee consumption the assumption is that it isn’t the caffeine that is protective. They mention that it is likely due to “minerals, phytochemicals, and antioxidants” contained in the coffee (just linking those words to coffee makes it sound so health imparting to me).

I’m off to Starbucks for my caffeinated (unless it is after 4, then decaffeinated) beverage of minerals, phytochemicals, and antioxidants. Oh what the heck, for that extra health boost throw in another salubrious shot of expresso.

No comments: