Let's see if this blog can be a useful tool as well: I would like your help. read these Goals and comment on how they can be improved, how work on each can be begun and/or done, or who might help in our efforts:
· Increase awareness of and competency in suicide prevention and treatment for first point-of-contact individuals/staff, education personnel, healthcare providers, clergy, healthcare providers, law enforcement, mental health professionals and social service personnel.
· Educate everyone, especially mental health personnel, healthcare providers, social service personnel, clergy, law enforcement personnel, and education personnel to ask about suicidal ideations and intentions.
· Increase public awareness that mental health care is a critical part of health care, along with reducing the stigma of seeking and/or receiving mental health care and the stigma of suicide
2) Access to care:
· Increase access to mental health care, including availability of care (outpatient and inpatient) and insurance coverage parity.
· Advocate for an accessible, comprehensive continuum of care for those at highest risk for suicide.
· Promote accessibility and utilization of suicide prevention services for victims of harassment and violence.
3) Encourage networks of relatives, friends, neighbors, and members of the faith community to decrease isolation, a high risk factor for suicide.
4) Improve collection and dissemination of suicide-related data.
5) Develop sustainable resources for implementing suicide prevention, intervention and post-intervention programs in Lake County and Illinois and evaluate their effectiveness.